Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Making History Presidential Campaign Webquest

This was an excellent assignment. I decided to use the democratic race between Senator Hillary R. Clinton and Senator Barack Obama as the subject. The students in my computer applications class will get a chance to learn to use many of the technologies that I learn to use from my instructional technologies classes. For instance, the project includes a timeline, a powerpoint, and an internet research assignment. Using Google Page Creator for the second assignment, I tried to "kick it up a knotch" by adding the print and return buttons that required adding html code to the webpage.



As with all webpages, it required lots of planning ahead for success. Add a teacher's notes section was a capsule view of the total project. I choose not to add a lot of images, I was more interested in the content. Although, many webquest sites are filled with great clipart and animation, I believe it should be subject and age specific. As a high school teacher, I do not feel a need for as much clipart as an elementary or middle school teacher might use.



I hope that the student will get involved in the topic and view themselves as researchers trying to decide what history will remember about the candidates. This assignment will get them thinking not just about technology but also about history, english, and the American government and the importance of voting. This is as much about citizenship as it is about the technology skills to accomplish the assignment.

http://it648webquest.googlepages.com/home

No comments: